The Health Benefits of Swimming
We all know the benefits of physical exercise. It keeps our heart healthy, our weight down, and improves all aspects of our physical and mental well-being. But did you know swimming is one of the best activities you can engage in for both your physical and mental health? Club Sport in San Jose offers both adult swimming lessons and swimming lessons for kids of all ages. Our spacious indoor aquatic center boasts two pools, one dedicated for lap swimming and one dedicated to year-round swim lessons. Below, we’ll explain the health benefits of swimming. Contact us today!
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF SWIMMING
- Low-impact. Due to the buoyancy effect of water, your bones and muscles will be relieved from the constant pressure of gravity. This is good news for those who suffer from arthritis or for those who are overweight.
- Total-body workout. When you swim, you use every muscle in your body, from your arms pulling you through the water to your legs kicking from behind to help propel you.
- Tones and builds muscle. Because all of your muscles are working, you’ll build strength and tone muscles.
- Increases endurance and cardiovascular fitness. Besides your muscles, your heart and lungs are getting a great workout as well, which means both are getting stronger.
- Relaxing form of exercise. When you go swimming, it often doesn’t feel like you’re exercising. For one thing, you don’t get sweaty since your sweat is instantly washed away. Your heart rate is elevated, but not to the point of taxingly-so. Furthermore, because it hardly feels like exercising, you will be more likely to stick with swimming in the long run as it’s an enjoyable form of exercise overall. Furthermore, you’ll burn a lot of calories because you are exercising at a higher heart rate than perhaps another form of exercises, such as walking or yoga.
- Improves your sleep. Aerobic exercise helps you sleep better due to the fact you are more tired because you have physically worked out.
- Alleviates stress. Exercise, in general, stimulates endorphin production, making you feel much better when you are finished. The same holds true for swimming. As you breathe in a rhythmic pattern since you have to breathe, you’ll start to feel relaxed as well. Being submerged in water also exposes you less to the environment around you, which can be noisy.
- Improves flexibility. Swimming requires quite a bit of torquing of our body. You have to reach, stretch, twist, and pull your way through the water, which has resistance and doesn’t really want to move to let you by.
- Swimming can be used for the rehabilitation of injuries. Since there is no weight-bearing involved, people who have injured themselves can exercise a particular muscle group without fear of reinjury.
- You can swim wherever there is water. This makes swimming a very affordable option for exercise. Plus, who doesn’t want to go snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef?
- Swimming has been shown to help people with chronic diseases, such as arthritis, heart disease, or diabetes. Swimming can be beneficial for those struggling with asthma and multiple sclerosis as well.
- Try swimming in the ocean. Salt-water swimming improves your skin by retaining moisture and promoting new cell growth.
If you don’t know how to freestyle swim or the difference between the breaststroke and the butterfly stroke in swimming, enroll in Club Sport’s adult swimming lessons today. With a little bit of practice, you’ll be doing laps like a seasoned pro. But don’t be fooled: swimming is hard work, so like any exercise routine you begin, start off slow to avoid soreness and burnout, or try one of our low-impact water aerobics classes to help you build up swimming endurance.
HOW CLUB SPORT IN SAN JOSE CAN IMPROVE YOUR LIFE
Club Sport in San Jose aims to help you train for life. We’ll help you develop power and endurance through our gym facility and group fitness classes and then restore and realign your physical and mental well-being with our yoga classes.
Fitness boils down to being able to do the things in life you want to do when you want to do it and when you need to do it. If your best friend wants to go on a hike spontaneously, you are physically able to enjoy your friend’s presence while soaking in the warm sun, the beautiful flowers and the wonderful aromas the breeze carries your way. If your grandson wants to play soccer with you, you can. And if your daughter wants to practice handstands, you can attempt that as well. Maintaining a current fitness ability is vital to enjoying life throughout your years.
Club Sport in San Jose wants to help you lead your best life ever. We’re a one-stop-shop gym facility that features a spa, a nutrition and weight management program, as well as our Club Sport Citrus Fresh Market that offers up amazing healthy foods and snacks. Visit us today, and try out a free week.